Recipe by Sydney Mike
Here is another one of those 'triple lemon' pound cakes, & this recipe comes from the 2001 cookbook, Luscious Lemon Desserts. Be sure to read carefully both the ingredients list & directions before starting anything!
FOR THE CAKE
- 3 1⁄2 cups cake flour, sifted (NOT self-rising)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
FOR THE HOT SYRUP TOPPING
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (Yes, this much more!)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated (Yes, this much more!)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE CAKE: Making sure there is a rack in the middle of the oven, preheat oven to 300 degrees F, then butter & flour a 10" (12-cup) Bundt pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder & salt together TWICE.
- In a large bowl & with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter until light & fluffy.
- Gradually beat in 1 3/4 cups of sugar, about 3 tablespoons at a time, & continue beating until light & fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Reduce speed to low & add flour mixture alternately with the milk, in batches, beginning & ending with the flour.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of the zest & both extracts.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan & smooth top with a rubber spatula, & bake for 1 1/2 hours or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven & let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- FOR THE HOT SYRUP TOPPING: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring 1/2 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon zest & lemon juice to a boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Turn cake out onto the rack & IMMEDIATELY brush the hot syrup over the hot cake.
- Let brushed cake cool to room temperature, then cut into wedges & ENJOY!