Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one my favorite breads! It's rich, so I don't make it very often, but so wonderful! It makes very nice gifts! ;) (Makes 2 nice-sized loaves.)
- 1 1⁄4 lbs butter, room temp, 5 sticks
- 2 cups sugar
- 9 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Coat 2 (8 1/2" x 4 1/2" x 2 1/2") loaf pans with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, (I use my kitchen aid one), cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Scrape sides and bottom every so often with a rubber spatula.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon rind and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt. I usually just mix this well with a whisk to combine evenly.
- Add to the egg mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Divide the batter between the 2 prepared pans.
- Bake about 1 hour, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes.
- Invert onto wire racks.
- Cool further til wrappable with plastic wrap without any steam. Wrap tightly to keep fresh and moist.