This Irish apple cake is like a spice cake with the extra addition of juicey apples!
Make and share this Ultimate Irish Apple Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened (room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, beaten (room temperature)
- 4 granny smith apples, cored, peeled and diced (2 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Generously grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg, apples, nuts, and vanilla and stir well.
- Sift in the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake about 45 minutes, until the cake is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let the cake set in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.