Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From DH's grandmother....she used raw eggs. Lately we have decided to cook them a bit, or use egg substitute. Absolutely the richest, best ice cream ever! Cook time is freezer time, which is approximate.
- 8 eggs, beaten or 2 cups egg substitute
- 6 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 gallon whole milk
- 3 1⁄2 pints whipping cream
- 1 pint half-and-half cream
- Combine all ingredients and freeze in ice cream freezer.
- OR, if you prefer to cook the eggs:.
- Heat the milk and sugar in a large pot on the stove.
- Add a small amount of the mixture to the beaten eggs to heat.
- Then slowly stir eggs back into the milk mixture on the stove.
- Allow to cool, then add remaining ingredients and freeze.
I just tasted this out of the ice cream freezer and it's very good--but I goofed and only put 4 c. of sugar in, thinking I'd taste and add more if it needed it before I froze it. Well, I forgot, but the 4 cups was still plenty of sugar. Much more than that and I think even *I* would have a hard time eating it! :) But this is a very rich-tasting ice cream that everyone is going to love--thanks for submitting!