Prep 20 mins
Cook 16 mins
This recipe comes from Canadian House and Home. It is soooo good. It's baked so it's easy to make more than 1 at a time. The cheese oozes out of the sandwiches while baking and becomes a crunchy crust around the bread. Use a really good bread and slice it extra thick. You can use commercial mango chutney or try this home-made version: Mango Chutney
- Place empty baking sheet in oven and preheat to 450°F.
- Slice bread into 3/4" slices.
- Butter both sides of bread.
- Spread half of slices with Mango Chutney.
- Slice cheese 3/8" thick and place on other slices of bread.
- Place chutney spread slices over slices with cheese.
- Remove baking sheet from oven.
- Place sandwiches on hot baking sheet.
- Return to hot oven.
- Bake for 8 minutes, until golden on bottom.
- Flip over sandwiches and bake another 8 minutes.
- Let stand 3 to 4 minutes so cheese cools off.
- Cut into halves or quarters.
Simply fantastic! I used Sharwood's Mango Chutney and sourdough bread. The cheddar cheese was Irish Kerrygold. I'm in Grilled Cheese Heaven! The combo of chutney and cheese is an inspired combo.
Chutney and cheddar, yum!
Ooey gooey sharp cheddar with sweet mango chutney and crispy toasted bread makes for a terrific sandwich which I much enjoyed. Thank you Dreamer in Ontario for posting and to weekend cooker for the recommendation, made for I Recommend tag game.