1 hr 5 mins
My Granny used to make this for every holiday, now my Mom does too! When I was younger I used to throw a fit if my Momma didn't make it! I get such a craving for this I could eat the whole pan. I like to think of this as more of an "Adult" version of the simple Campbell's and French's we're all used too. I sometimes like to add a dash of the paprika to the cream cheese soup mixture just for a little extra flavor. Enjoy!
My Private Note
quart c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (9 ounce) packages frozen French style green beans
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (somewhere between a 1/4 to 1/3c, however much onion flavor you like)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt (you can also use fresh garlic to taste and add to the onions)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (2 1/2 ounce) package slivered almonds
- 1Cook green beans according to package directions; drain.
- 2Melt margarine in a Dutch oven over medium to medium low heat; add onion and cook until translucent.
- 3Add flour and stir to coat.
- 4Add soup and cream cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until cream cheese is melted, add Cheddar cheese and stir until mixture is smooth and everything is melted.
- 5Remove from heat; stir in green beans, water chestnuts, garlic salt, and pepper.
- 6Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2 quart casserole.
- 7Top with almonds; sprinkle with paprika.
- 8Bake, uncovered, at 375 deg. for 45 minutes.
- 9*Remember when melting cheeses it is always better to do it low and slow then fast and hot! You want this smooth and creamy not curdled and lumpy!*.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Green Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (215 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 287.6
- Calories from Fat 194
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 45.4 mg
- Sodium 689.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 10.3 g