Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe came fromplaying around in the kitchen. My family loves garlic butter on bread. But I will make large batches of this butter to cook with. Top grilled meats, add to sauces etc! Its worth every calorie!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temp is best
- 1 whole head of garlic, plus
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chiffonade fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (to taste)
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- cut off the top of the head of garlic so that cloves are exposed (this makes it easier to squeeze out sticky cloves of roasted garlic).
- pour 1 tbl of olive oil and kosher salt and pepper to taste on garlic.
- wrap in foil, place on a pizza stone or in a cermaic dish (so that it wont burn).
- roast for about 45 minutes to an hour.
- You want the garlic to be soft sticky and caramelized.
- after roasting let garlic cool.
- remove roasted garlic from the skins. In a bowl cream together roasted garlic, butter, the 2 remaining tblsp of olive oil, all herbs, salt and pepper. finely mince or use a garlic press for the remaining 2 cloves of garlic and add to the butter mixture.
- refrigerate butter for at least one hour. this lets the flavors come together.