Eureka! I found the perfect frozen hot chocolate for me. I have actually had Serendipity's frozen chocolate. I also have tried Big Train's frozen hot chocolate. These are my two favorite commercially available frozen hot chocolates. I have tried several frozen hot chocolate recipes, but none had the "ice creamy" taste that both of them had and not as "chocolatey" as I would have like. This is even my second version of Frozen Hot Chocolate that I have posted here. My most recent experiment was Mamafoodie.com's version which was very different from other recipes and very satisfying, but for me was almost there. She confessed that she wanted it less chocolatey than Serendipity's. This is my adaptation of her recipe with a few changes of my own. For me, I think the secret ingredient is heavy cream, which now I'm thinking we avoid using in trying to be healthy and are just afraid to go there. In the future, I may try to omit the white chocolate and butter to lessen fat content, and see how that tastes, but for now, I think this is it for me. My search is done. Please note that cooking and prep times do not include the time it takes for the batch to cool to room temperature prior to blending with ice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In microwavable container, melt butter.
- 2Combine cocoa and sugar with the butter to make a paste.
- 3Add semi-sweet chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and 2/3 cup of the heavy cream to the cocoa/sugar/butter mixture.
- 4Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute, stir, and microwave again for intervals of 20 seconds until chocolate chips are fully melted and fully incorporated. Be careful not to burn chocolate.
- 5Add remaining heavy cream to chocolate mixture and stir.
- 6Cool mixture to room temperature.
- 7Pour mixture and ice into blender and blend until smooth. (I actually do this in two batches to make it easier to blend and due to the size of my blender.).
- 8Add milk if necessary to help blend if chocolate ice mixture is too thick to blend in blender.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Frozen Hot Chocolate
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 721.7
- Calories from Fat 571
- Total Fat 63.5 g
- Saturated Fat 39.2 g
- Cholesterol 181.5 mg
- Sodium 71.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 33.2 g
- Protein 5.5 g