Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe appeared in Gourmet about 15 years ago, and I've adapted it slightly. It's just amazing how the cornstarch eliminates the greasiness without diminishing the flavor at all. This is the basic version, but you can definitely jazz it up by adding Italian seasonings, grated Parmesan, etc. I never bother 'sweating' the eggplant when preparing it this way, but you may prefer to.
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (fresh is best, but the packaged kind is fine)
- 1 small eggplant
- vegetable oil
- Beat egg in a small bowl along with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Put cornstarch in a second small bowl and breadcrumbs in a third.
- Cut eggplant crosswise into slices approximately 1/2-inch thick.
- (If you prefer thinner slices, that will work fine, but you may need additional cornstarch and bread crumbs to get everything coated well.) Dredge each slice in cornstarch, coating thoroughly on both sides.
- Tap gently against the side of the bowl to knock off excess.
- Dip eggplant in beaten egg, coating each side lightly but thoroughly.
- Dredge in crumbs, pressing firmly enough that the breading sticks.
- Allow coated eggplant to dry briefly on paper towels.
- Pour enough oil in a heavy skillet to cover slices about halfway.
- Heat to 375 degrees.
- Fry eggplant for one to two minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt.
I used the long Japanese eggplants. We enjoyed this. I made quite a mess though. Worth it because it was not greasy at all.
Delicious. I made this exactly as described except I used seasoned breadcrumbs. Easy and totally yummy. Thanks highcotton -
I have try them all, but this is the best so far, The only thing one should use is olive oil,First press it helps the favor, And i'm not saying the favor is bad, With the corn starch the oil stays cleaner longer, and the bread crumbs stay on the egg plant, and not in the bottm of the pot,If I had more stars I would give it a six to Seven stars,Excellent