This recipe appeared in Gourmet about 15 years ago, and I've adapted it slightly. It's just amazing how the cornstarch eliminates the greasiness without diminishing the flavor at all. This is the basic version, but you can definitely jazz it up by adding Italian seasonings, grated Parmesan, etc. I never bother 'sweating' the eggplant when preparing it this way, but you may prefer to.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat egg in a small bowl along with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- 2Put cornstarch in a second small bowl and breadcrumbs in a third.
- 3Cut eggplant crosswise into slices approximately 1/2-inch thick.
- 4(If you prefer thinner slices, that will work fine, but you may need additional cornstarch and bread crumbs to get everything coated well.) Dredge each slice in cornstarch, coating thoroughly on both sides.
- 5Tap gently against the side of the bowl to knock off excess.
- 6Dip eggplant in beaten egg, coating each side lightly but thoroughly.
- 7Dredge in crumbs, pressing firmly enough that the breading sticks.
- 8Allow coated eggplant to dry briefly on paper towels.
- 9Pour enough oil in a heavy skillet to cover slices about halfway.
- 10Heat to 375 degrees.
- 11Fry eggplant for one to two minutes on each side, until golden brown.
- 12Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Fried Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (188 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 198.0
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 509.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 6.5 g