Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
You can cheat and make this with imitation crabmeat but of course the real stuff is better, if you are using frozen crabmeat make certain to squeeze out any excess moisture before using for this recipe --- if you are a spinach lover then add in the full box of spinach if not just use half a box as the spinach tends be over powering, you can use 1 pound fresh spinach in place of frozen --- you can stuff the shells and refrigerate until ready to bake, and this is also great with a red sauce instead of the Parmesan cheese sauce :)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup full-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- 1 lb crabmeat, flaked (fresh or frozen)
- 1 (20 ounce) box frozen spinach (cooked and well drained, squeeze out moisture with hands)
- 1 1⁄2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups parmesan cheese (can use more to taste)
- 2 large green onions, chopped
- 1 large egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
- shredded mozzarella cheese, for topping
- 15 manicotti, cooked to only firm-tender
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the sauce: in a saucepan over medium heat melt butter.
- Add in flour and whisk for about 3 minutes.
- Add in milk and half and half whisk over heat until bubbly and thickened.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and Tabasco to taste; stir until the cheese melts.
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl mix together crab, well drained spinach, ricotta, and Parmesan cheese, onions, egg, salt and pepper; mix well to combine.
- Fill each cooked shell with crab/cheese filling using clean hands.
- Place in a single layer in prepared baking dish.
- Cover with the Parmesan cheese sauce (does not have to cover completely!).
- Sprinkle with grated mozzeralla cheese (any amount desired).
- Bake uncovered for about 25-30 minutes (do not over bake!).