Recipe by Elmotoo
This is THE BEST corned beef recipe ever. It's from 'The Brooklyn Cookbook' by Lyn Stallworth and Rod Kennedy, Jr. The secret is that it's roasted not boiled. I usually cook 2 pieces of meat - as much as I can fit in my large roasting pan - to be sure there are leftovers. ;) I either roast my cabbage in wedges or make one of the MANY wonderful cabbage dishes here. Please don't just boil the stuff! .
Top Review by Pot Scrubber
This is an amazing recipe. Please don't boil your corned beef or prepare in a crockpot, the flavor is boiled out of the meat. Slow baking is the only way to go. I seared it in a large cast iron Dutch oven and then baked it in the same pan covered with its heavy lid instead of wrapping in foil. I topped it with carrots and onions. OMG. Totally awesome.
- 5 lbs packaged ready-to-cook corned beef (or more)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large oranges, sliced
- 3 tablespoons pickling spices
- 3 stalks celery, with leaves
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Line a roasting pan with a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil, enough to wrap the meat tightly.
- Rinse the corned beef and pat it dry. Place it on the foil. Arrange the onion and orange slices over and around the meat. Sprinkle on the pickling spices, lay on the celery stalks, and pour on the water. Wrap very tightly and pinch the edges well to seal.
- Bake the corned beef for 4 hours, or until a few bubbles begin to escape.