1 hr 15 mins
A lucious coconut cake from the Penninsula Grill in SC. Posted in response to a request...I haven't made it yet...but you can bet I will!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE FILLING
- 8 ounces whipped cream, stiff
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE FROSTING
- 1Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2Grease (and flour if you wish) 3 nine (9") inch round pans.
- 3Mix flour with baking powder and 1/2 ts salt.
- 4In a large bowl, mixed at high speed beat the butter and 2 cups of sugar until light.
- 5Add 4 eggs, one at a time, and beat after each time you add one.
- 6Continue beating, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber scraper, until fluffy- about 2 minutes.
- 7At low speed, beat in flour mixture, in fourths alternating with milk (in thirds) beginning and ending with the flour mix.
- 8Add vanilla.
- 9Beat until just smooth, about 1 min.
- 10Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 25-30 min.
- 11,or until sur- face springs back when lightly touched.
- 12Cool pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- 13Remove from pans and cool thoroughly.
- 14Prepare the filling: simply whip the cream, adding the sugar and vanilla, and keep cool until the cake has cooled completely.
- 15Make the frosting: cream the cream cheese and sugar together, (both should be soft), then add the sugar and vanilla.
- 16You might need to add a little milk to make it to the consistency you like.
- 17When everything is cool and ready, place a layer on the plate you will serve it from, top side down.
- 18Fill with whipped cream filling, and sprinkle with coconut and if you would like add chopped walnuts.
- 19Repeat with the second layer, and then place the top layer on.
- 20Frost the sides and the top.
- 21Cover the entire cake with coconut and if you wish, add chopped walnuts.
- 22Refrigerate to set the frosting.
- 23NOTE: I had to use skewers to hold the cake in place while I was frosting it, and it might be a good idea to use these to prevent the cake from sliding.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 709.8
- Calories from Fat 358
- Total Fat 39.8 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 110.1 mg
- Sodium 308.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 62.1 g
- Protein 8.4 g