Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
A lucious coconut cake from the Penninsula Grill in SC. Posted in response to a request...I haven't made it yet...but you can bet I will!
FOR THE CAKE
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE FILLING
- 8 ounces whipped cream, stiff
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
FOR THE FROSTING
- 2 (3 ounce) packages cream cheese, soft
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8 ounce) package coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease (and flour if you wish) 3 nine (9") inch round pans.
- Mix flour with baking powder and 1/2 ts salt.
- In a large bowl, mixed at high speed beat the butter and 2 cups of sugar until light.
- Add 4 eggs, one at a time, and beat after each time you add one.
- Continue beating, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber scraper, until fluffy- about 2 minutes.
- At low speed, beat in flour mixture, in fourths alternating with milk (in thirds) beginning and ending with the flour mix.
- Add vanilla.
- Beat until just smooth, about 1 min.
- Pour into prepared pans, and bake for 25-30 min.
- ,or until sur- face springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool thoroughly.
- Prepare the filling: simply whip the cream, adding the sugar and vanilla, and keep cool until the cake has cooled completely.
- Make the frosting: cream the cream cheese and sugar together, (both should be soft), then add the sugar and vanilla.
- You might need to add a little milk to make it to the consistency you like.
- When everything is cool and ready, place a layer on the plate you will serve it from, top side down.
- Fill with whipped cream filling, and sprinkle with coconut and if you would like add chopped walnuts.
- Repeat with the second layer, and then place the top layer on.
- Frost the sides and the top.
- Cover the entire cake with coconut and if you wish, add chopped walnuts.
- Refrigerate to set the frosting.
- NOTE: I had to use skewers to hold the cake in place while I was frosting it, and it might be a good idea to use these to prevent the cake from sliding.