10 hrs 18 mins
Chef #607540's Note:
This recipe makes a fabulously elegant, rich chocolate dessert that isn't nearly as hard as it looks. You can dress it up with raspberry coulis, chocolate glazed strawberries, chocolate leaves or whatever, but it's equally fabulous just as is. Prep time includes 8 hours chilling time, and another hour cooling before that.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Spray the bottom and sides of a 8 or 9 inch springform pan. Wrap in two layers of aluminum foil and set inside a 9x13 or larger baking pan, tall enough for you to add water to come halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Don't add water yet.
- 2Reserve 1/2 cup of semisweet chocolate chips and set aside. Place remaining chips and butter in double boiler OR microwave safe bowl and heat over hot water or in microwave until chips melt, stirring frequently. If you use the microwave, stir every 30-45 seconds to keep chocolate from scorching.
- 3Stir in vanilla.
- 4In medium bowl, beat eggs. Place bowl over simmering water and continue beating until they are warm, approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and continue beating the eggs until they are light and tripled in volume, 4-5 minutes.
- 5Fold 1/4 of the eggs into the chocolate to lighten the chocolate. Gently fold in remaining eggs. Pour immediately into prepared springform pan, and add hot water to the baking pan until the water comes halfway up the side of the springform.
- 6Bake at 400 for 18 minutes, no longer. Torte will still look wet and jiggly in the middle, and that's okay.
- 7Allow to cool to room temperature, approximately 45 minutes.
- 8In small sauce pan or in microwave, heat the whipping cream just until bubbles form around the edge. Pour immediately over reserved chocolate chips, and let sit 3 minutes. Stir the cream and chocolate mixture until smooth, then pour over top of torte.
- 9Refrigerate 6-8 hours before removing springform ring and serving. Garnish with fruit or whipped cream if desired.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Chocolate Torte--5 Ingredients
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 772.8
- Calories from Fat 571
- Total Fat 63.5 g
- Saturated Fat 37.9 g
- Cholesterol 255.2 mg
- Sodium 271.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 46.8 g
- Protein 8.9 g