1/2 Photos of Ultimate Chocolate Sugar Cookies
1 hr 36 mins
I'll admit that this is going to take some time but the result is so completely worth it! The prep time includes the mixing, chilling and decoration time. Baking time is for all the baking sheets to be baked one at a time. If your guests/family don't fall to their knees in worship of you then they do not deserve you!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sifted Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder, dissolved in
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 egg white, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon water
- pearl sugar or candy sprinkles or nonpareils or colored crystal sugar
- finely chopped nuts
- 1Make cookies:.
- 2Sift together the flour, cocoa, and salt. Set aside.
- 3In bowl of electric mixer, using paddle attachment, mix butter on medium-low speed until it is creamy and lightened in color. Add the sugar in a steady stream, and beat until thoroughly combined.
- 4Add the egg, espresso, and vanilla.
- 5Scrape down sides of bowl as needed, then mix in melted chocolate.
- 6Reduce mixer speed to low and blend in dry ingredients in two additions, mixing only to combine after each addition.
- 7Remove dough from bowl and divide into quarters.
- 8Form each quarter into a 4" disk and wrap in plastic, refrigerate for 30-40 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- 9You should be able to leave an imprint when you press dough.
- 10Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F.
- 11Have ready two ungreased cookie sheets. Working with one-fourth of dough at a time, roll on a lightly floured flat surface until 3/16" thick.
- 12Using a 2 1/2" round cookie cutter or a cookie cutter of your choice, cut cookies from the dough.
- 13Transfer cookies to a sheet of waxed paper and brush lightly with egg/water mixture. Sprinkle with pearl sugar or other garnishes.
- 14Carefully place on cookie sheets.
- 15Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, for 9-10 minutes.
- 16Transfer cookies to a wire rack while still warm, and cool completely.
- 17Repeat with remaining dough.
- 18MAKE GANACHE:.
- 19Break chocolate into 1" pieces and place into bowl of a food processor.
- 20Process until chocolate is finely chopped. Empty chocolate into a medium-sized bowl and set aside.
- 21In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream and corn syrup on low heat until it comes to a gentle boil.
- 22Immediately pour hot cream over chopped chocolate.
- 23Let it stand for about 1 minute, then stir chocolate and cream together, slowly mixing until all chocolate is melted and mixture is fully emulsified.
- 24Blend in rum and vanilla.
- 25If surface is oily, stir in 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of hot water.
- 26Glaze should thicken as it stands, but remain pourable.
- 27If ganache fails to thicken, chill it in refrigerator for 4 to 5 minutes.
- 28Watch carefully, as it must not be too cold. Spoon ganache over cookies, letting it trickle down the sides.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Chocolate Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.6
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 25.0 mg
- Sodium 24.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 5.7 g
- Protein 1.9 g