Prep 45 mins
Cook 17 mins
Use a high quality bittersweet or semisweet chocolate for this recipe, Callebaut Intense Dark Chocolate L-60-40NV or Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Bar. You can omit ganache filling for a more traditional cupcake. The cupcakes can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored unfrosted in an airtight container.
- ganache, filling
- 56.69 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine (see note)
- 59.14 ml heavy cream
- 14.79 ml confectioners' sugar
- 85.04 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine (see note)
- 78.07 ml Dutch-processed cocoa powder (1 ounce)
- 177.44 ml hot coffee
- 177.44 ml bread flour (4 1/8 ounces)
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar (5 1/4 ounces)
- 2.46 ml table salt
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 88.74 ml vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 9.85 ml white vinegar
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- FOR GANACHE FILLING: Place chocolate, cream, and confectioners’ sugar in medium microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave on high power until mixture is warm to touch, 20 to 30 seconds. Whisk until smooth; transfer bowl to refrigerator and let stand until just chilled, no longer than 30 minutes.
- FOR CUPCAKES: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard-size muffin pan (cups have ½-cup capacity) with baking-cup liners. Place chocolate and cocoa in medium bowl. Pour hot coffee over mixture and whisk until smooth. Set in refrigerator to cool completely, about 20 minutes. Whisk flour, sugar, salt, and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
- Whisk oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla into cooled chocolate-cocoa mixture until smooth. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin pan cups. Place one slightly rounded teaspoon ganache filling on top of each cupcake. Bake until cupcakes are set and just firm to touch, 17 to 19 minutes. Cool cupcakes in muffin pan on wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. Carefully lift each cupcake from muffin pan and set on wire rack. Cool to room temperature before frosting, about 1 hour.
- TO FROST: Mound 2 to 3 tablespoons frosting on center of each cupcake. Using small icing spatula or butter knife, spread frosting to edge of cupcake, leaving slight mound in center.
These are amazingly rich and chocolatey! We didn't mind the ganache at the bottom of the cupcake at all. My son, who normally is not a big fan of cakes and sweets, adored these and asked for them again for his birthday this year:-) One bit of advice, I used Ghiradelli bittersweet chocolate chips and counted 32 of them for each ounce. So, for the ganache I used 64 and for the cupcakes I used 96 chips. Also, you can freeze these to use at a later date---that is, if there are any left! Enjoy...we love, love, love them!
So intensely chocolatey! I used Lindt chocolate with 70% cocoa solids - I think I might use something a touch lighter for the ganache the next time; for the cupcake, the very dark chocolate was just right. For some reason the ganache simply ended up at the bottom of each cupcake instead of nestling in the middle, as I'd hoped. Ah well, the taste was still gorgeous! Thank you for sharing!