Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Judge a cake by the list of ingredients. How can a cake be truly deeply rich chocolate with only a bit of cocoa? This cake has a depth of flavor that can only come when real chocolate is used in sizeable amounts. Use a higher quality chocolate to further heighten the flavor. This cake is VERY easy to make. Do NOT try to lighten up this cake...it needs the fat in the whole milk and butter to add to the moistness. I originally found this on Epicurious.com but have made a few changes for my own taste. I hope you enjoy this!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate bars
- 4 ounces milk chocolate candy bars
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350. Butter and parchment line two 8x2 baking pans.
- Measure all ingredients (except chocolates) inth a large mixing bowl. Mix once or twice by hand to incorporate ingredients.
- Blend for 30 seconds on LOW speed, scraping bowl constantly.
- Melt chocolate bars in the microwave by heating for 30 second intervals.
- Add melted chocolate to mixing bowl. Beat for 3 minutes on HIGH speed.
- Mix in chocolate chips by hand.
- Spoon into the pans and level them off.
- Bake layers for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.