Recipe by HeatherFeather
Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens, 1994. Prep time does not include cooling time. You will need an 11" ridged tart pan for this recipe. (It will be easier to cut if your pan has a removeable bottom).
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie crust
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup light corn syrup or 1 cup golden syrup
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup salted mixed nuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1⁄3 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 tablespoon shortening
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pie pastry from the center to the edges, forming a 12" circle.
- Carefully place pastry into an 11" ungreased tart pan with removeable bottom and ridges sides.
- Press pastry gently into the ridges, trim off the pastry edges even with the top of the pan (do NOT prick pastry).
- In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly with a fork or whisk, then add corn syrup, brown sugar, melted butter, and vanilla, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add nuts nad 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips.
- Place tart pan onto a baking sheet and pour in filling.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack.
- To serve, cut into wedges and drizzle with the topping.
- Topping: Cook chocolate and shortening together in a small pan over low heat stirring constantly until it has begun to melt; immediately remove from heat and keep stirring until smooth.
- Let cool slightly then pour into a zip-top plastic bag, snip a tiny hole in one corner and drizzled over tart wedges.
- Keep leftover tart slices in the fridge for up to 2 days.