Recipe by Skooch
Made chili one day and realized I didn't have the right tomatoes nor the tomato paste that the recipe called for so substituted with peeled plum tomatoes and Rotel tomatoes. It turned out to be the best chili I ever made. If you like it extra hot, use Rotel Hot tomatoes.
Top Review by PaulaG
This is a great recipe. The end product is nice and hearty. The seasoning was perfect. I served shredded cheddar on the side for sprinkling over the steaming bowls of chili. Made for *PAC September 2007*
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 (28 ounce) canpeeled plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onions and garlic, cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Add the next 7 ingredients (the seasonings) and cook 4 minutes.
- Add undrained plum tomatoes (crushing with the back of a wooden spoon), and the undrained Rotel tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for about 1 hour or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add kidney beans and cook an additional 10 minutes.