Prep 25 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe from Tyler Florence Ultimate show. This looked so good I have to try!! Posting as I really dislike searching for recipes on the Food TV site.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh basil leaf
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup dried plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra
- parmesan cheese, for sprinkling
- 1⁄2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) fresh mozzarella balls, thinly sliced
- 1 lb spaghetti, cooked al dente
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a saute pan with olive oil and place over medium heat. When the oil gets hazy, add the onions, garlic, and bay leaves; cook and stir for 5 minutes until fragrant and soft. Add the olives and some hand-torn basil, reserve the rest of the basil for finishing the chicken. Carefully add the tomatoes (nothing splashes like tomatoes), cook and stir until the liquid is cooked down and the sauce is thick, about 15 minutes; season with sugar, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Lower the heat, cover, and keep warm.
- Get the ingredients together for the chicken so you have a little assembly line. Put the flour in a shallow platter and season with a fair amount of salt and pepper; mix with a fork to distribute evenly. In a wide bowl, combine the eggs and water, beat until frothy. Put the bread crumbs on a plate, add the 1 cup parmesan, chopped parsley, and garlic powder Season with salt and pepper and stir with a fork until thoroughly combined.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high flame in a large oven-proof skillet. Lightly dredge both sides of the chicken cutlets in the seasoned flour, and then dip them in the egg wash to coat completely, letting the excess drip off, then dredge in the bread crumbs. When the oil is nice and hot, add the cutlets and fry for 4 minutes on each side until golden and crusty, turning once.
- Ladle the tomato-olive sauce over the chicken and arrange the mozzarella on top. Sprinkle with Parmesan, and remaining basil. Bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly. Serve hot with spaghetti.