Another favorite from "America the Beautiful". Definitely not for everyday eating as it's rich & calorie laden, but it makes a great brunch or even a light lunch when paired with a green salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock, homemade or bought (I use a salt-reduced store brand)
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 onion, sliced thinly
- 2/3 cup cream
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- black pepper (use white if you don’t want the specks)
- salt, to taste
- parsley, for garnish (optional)
- 1Melt 4 teaspoons butter over a low heat in a heavy pan.
- 2Once melted, stir in 2 tablespoons flour and cook out for 2 minutes.
- 3Whisk in the stock and continue whisking until thick which will take about 5 minutes.
- 4Add the sherry and a ¼ teaspoon salt; stir in the chicken.
- 5Spoon the mixture into a shallow serving dish and keep warm.
- 6Melt 2 teaspoons of butter in a small pan and cook the onions for 5 minutes; add the remaining 2 teaspoons of flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 7Whisk in the salt and pepper to taste, and cook until thickened which will take about 4 minutes.
- 8Remove from heat.
- 9Preheat broiler.
- 10Beat egg yolks, whisk in ¼ cup of the hot sauce, then whisk this mixture back into the remaining sauce.
- 11Cook this mixture, stirring constantly over a low heat, until thickened, about 2-4 minutes.
- 12Do not let the mixture boil.
- 13Stir in the Parmesan, and then pour the sauce over the warm chicken.
- 14Grill (broil) until the top is slightly brown and bubbly.
- 15Garnish with parsley if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Chicken Hash
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.1
- Calories from Fat 237
- Total Fat 26.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 199.4 mg
- Sodium 267.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 23.3 g