Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup Amarula cream liqueur
- 3 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, grated
- 1 cup walnut pieces, chopped
Cream Cheese Icing
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons Amarula cream liqueur
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- One 9x13x2 inch cake pan, buttered and lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine eggs, sugar, salt, vegetable oil, milk, and Amarula.
- Beat on medium speed for 30 seconds.
- In another bowl, sift together the first seven dry ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of liquid ingredients and beat on low speed until blended.
- Fold in the carrots, pineapple and walnuts.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the cake is firm.
- Cool in the pan.
- Cream the butter with a mixer on medium speed until soft and light.
- Add the cream cheese and continue mixing until smooth.
- Add the Amarula, sugar and vanilla and blend for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper from the cake and transfer the cake to a cutting surface.
- Cut the cake in half to make two layers.
- Place one layer on a cardboard cake circle, cover with icing, then top with the other layer and cover the cake with the remaining icing.