1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Charlotte J's Note:
The pineapple, with Amarula Cream and apricot jam, makes the cake moist and utterly delicious. Recipe by Amarula
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups oil
- 1 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup well drained grated fresh pineapple or 1 cup well drained grated granny smith apple
- 1 cup chopped pecan nuts
- 1/4 cup Amarula cream liqueur
- 1/2 cup smooth apricot jam
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1Sift dry ingredients twice.
- 2Beat the eggs until thick, add the sugar gradually (use an electric beater at high speed for about 3 minutes) until the mixture is very thick.
- 3Add the oil slowly and beat for another 2 minutes.
- 4Add carrots, pineapple, nuts, Amarula Cream and apricot jam and mix by hand.
- 5Add the dry ingredients to the mixture and fold in with a spatula until well blended.
- 6Butter a 28 cm diameter loose-bottomed spring form ring, an angle cake tin or 2 loaf tins**.
- 7Either line the base with baking paper or sprinkle with dry biscuit crumbs to coat lightly.
- 8Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake at 356 degrees to 375 degrees for 1 hr and 10 minute or until done.
- 9Allow to firm and cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
- 11Cream the butter and gradually add the icing sugar.
- 12Gently stir in the Amarula Cream and the cream cheese.
- 13Don’t over mix once the cheese has been added as it is inclined to become watery.
- 15Crystallized pineapple slices and pecan nuts.
- 16(**CAKE TINS: If using a 28cm springform tin with a hole in the middle there will be a little too much mixture. Fill the tin 2/3 full and bake the rest of the mixture in a muffin tin will make plus/minus 6 muffins extra.
- 17Angel cake tin – the mixture fits fine.
- 18Loaf tin – use one very large loaf tin – 30cm x 10 cm or 2 smaller ones).
- 19(Tip: If you "drip-dry" the cheese in a muslin cloth overnight, it becomes much drier. Allow the cake to cool completely before icing.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 999.5
- Calories from Fat 522
- Total Fat 58.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 138.1 mg
- Sodium 767.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 115.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 71.9 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Amarula cream liqueur
Amarula cream liqueur