Recipe by Charlotte J
The pineapple, with Amarula Cream and apricot jam, makes the cake moist and utterly delicious. Recipe by Amarula
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups caster sugar
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup well drained grated fresh pineapple or 1 cup well drained grated granny smith apple
- 1 cup chopped pecan nuts
- 1⁄4 cup Amarula cream liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup smooth apricot jam
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon Amarula cream liqueur
- 125 g cream cheese or 125 g smooth low fat cottage cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift dry ingredients twice.
- Beat the eggs until thick, add the sugar gradually (use an electric beater at high speed for about 3 minutes) until the mixture is very thick.
- Add the oil slowly and beat for another 2 minutes.
- Add carrots, pineapple, nuts, Amarula Cream and apricot jam and mix by hand.
- Add the dry ingredients to the mixture and fold in with a spatula until well blended.
- Butter a 28 cm diameter loose-bottomed spring form ring, an angle cake tin or 2 loaf tins**.
- Either line the base with baking paper or sprinkle with dry biscuit crumbs to coat lightly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake at 356 degrees to 375 degrees for 1 hr and 10 minute or until done.
- Allow to firm and cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out.
- Cream the butter and gradually add the icing sugar.
- Gently stir in the Amarula Cream and the cream cheese.
- Don’t over mix once the cheese has been added as it is inclined to become watery.
- Crystallized pineapple slices and pecan nuts.
- (**CAKE TINS: If using a 28cm springform tin with a hole in the middle there will be a little too much mixture. Fill the tin 2/3 full and bake the rest of the mixture in a muffin tin will make plus/minus 6 muffins extra.
- Angel cake tin – the mixture fits fine.
- Loaf tin – use one very large loaf tin – 30cm x 10 cm or 2 smaller ones).
- (Tip: If you "drip-dry" the cheese in a muslin cloth overnight, it becomes much drier. Allow the cake to cool completely before icing.).