Recipe by Crafty Lady 13
Just in time for fall and Halloween. These homemade caramel apples with have your guests begging for more. A 10-inch square of styrofoam comes in handy for holding these caramel apples.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 6 wooden popsicle sticks
- 6 apples (Red Delicious or Golden Delicious)
- 3 ounces white chocolate
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- In heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine water and sugar. Over low heat, stir mixture gently until sugar is completely
- dissolved. Increase heat to medium low and cook, without stirring, until mixture is a dark amber color. Remove from
- heat and carefully stir in heavy cream (mixture will bubble up and spatter a bit, then subside.) Set aside to cool and
- Using a 10-inch square piece of styrofoam, cover styrofoam with waxed paper to catch caramel drippings (this will be a stand for caramel apples).
- Insert popsicle sticks into bottom center of apples. Dip top half of each apple into thickened caramel. Insert bottom of
- popsicle sticks into styrofoam, allowing apples to stand upright so caramel runs down sides of each apple. Refrigerate to harden.
- Meanwhile, melt white chocolate in top of double boiler above gently simmering water; stir until smooth. Transfer melted chocolate to pastry bag fitted with small writing tip. Drizzle thin, random strips of white chocolate over each caramel apple. Repeat melting and drizzling with semi-sweet chocolate. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.