Prep 1 hr
Cook 10 mins
I came across this in a Homemakers magazine and it was an instant favourite, we have used this recipe ever since(with a little of our own tweaking!)The longer the mixture sits the better!( for prep time i just put the 1 hour standing time, add how ever long it will take you to chop your other ingredients). Cook time is just how long it takes you to toast your bread. Everyone we serve this to really likes it.
- Cut tomatoes in half, squeeze out seeds and juice.
- Chop into small dice and place in bowl.
- Add onion, garlic, basil, vinegar, half the olive oil, salt and pepper to your taste.
- Let stand at room temperature for about 1 hour,drain liquid.
- On broil, toast bread on both sides until golden.
- Quickly brush one side of each slice with remaining olive oil.
- Spoon tomato mixture on top& serve.
- Note: My husband usually makes this and i believe he uses the drained liquid to brush the bread rather than the olive oil.
- Also we have made this using dried basil instead of fresh (1 tablespoons fresh= 1 teaspoons dried) and although it does not call for it in the recipe we also use some fresh parsley.
This is summer on a plate. The flavour is so fresh and light. We have also been known to toss the tomato mix with pasta! Thanks so much for this recipe.
Really loved this recipe. My husband devoured it. Used balsamic vinaigrette, and only let it sit for about 20 minutes and it still tasted fantastic. Thanks for posting a new family favorite!
We often go to BJ's just to have a glass of wine and their bruschetta. This is just as good as theirs. I use balsamic vinegar also. I meanto add shredded parmesan cheese but forgot and we never missed it. Thanks for posting. Now we can this at home!