Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
The essence of comfort! I've never had anyone say they didn't LOVE this pie. What's not to love? Everything you could dream of for a luscious dessert treat. Although the directions look long, this is a simple dessert recipe with a very special reward; it's delicious!!!
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, finely ground
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, unsweetened (melted and cooled)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- CRUST: Place first three ingredients (ground pecans, butter, and sugar) in bowl of mixer and cream until light and smooth.
- Add egg yolk and almond extract. Gently "pulse" to combine.
- Slowly add in flour to above and gently mix until JUST holds together.
- Press dough into bottom and sides of a 10 inch deep dish pie pan. (A quiche dish works nicely).
- Line the crust with parment paper and weigh down with pie weights or dry beans.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and take out paper and weights.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes to crisp.
- Let crust cool while making the filling.
- FILLING: Whisk cocoa powder into butter until smooth. Set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy (whitish).
- Add vanilla.
- Add cocoa mixture, alternating with flour in 3 batches, beating briefly to combine after each addition. Do not over beat.
- Fold in pecans.
- Pour filling into prepared pie crust and bake in preheated oven for 35-45 minutes. Pie should just begin to crack on the top but still to soft in the center.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.