1/3 Photos of Ultimate Browned Vegetable Stock
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is my all-time favorite vegetable stock; the richness of this stock belies its simplicity. It loans its full-bodied flavor to almost any soup. It is the only veggie stock I will use to make my Garlic Soup That Cures What Ails You (Aka Hangover Soup) (Aka Hangover Soup), it would be a shame to make that soup any other way… a real shame. I originally found the recipe in a cookbook titled Soup and Bread: A Country Inn Cookbook, and have since adjusted it a bit. I also usually double the batch as it seems that 4 cups is never enough for us, and it freezes well. You can also add as many shiitake mushroom stems as you want (say 1 -3 cups) to the browned vegetables with the water for even more flavor. The variation which follows is sheer heaven: the ambrosia of soup stocks. Note: This recipe yields a little over 4 cups, if you are making my Hangover Soup recipe you will needs to double this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 onions, unpeeled, quartered
- 3 large carrots, unpeeled, halved, stem ends removed
- 8 celery ribs, with leaves, each broken in half
- 3 beets, quartered
- 2 heads garlic, whole heads, papery skin left on, cut in half across the middle to expose each garlic clove
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, use a mild flavored one
- 1/4 cup tamari soy sauce (low sodium) or 1/4 cup shoyu soy sauce (low sodium)
- 7 cups room temperature water, preferably spring, divided
- 1 -3 cup shiitake mushroom stems (see description above) (optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Spray and 11 X 13-inch backing pan with cooking spray.
- 2Place the onions, carrots, celery, beets and garlic in the pan. Drizzle with the oil and toss to coat the vegetables. Pour over the soy sauce and bake until the vegetables are deeply browned, almost burnt-looking, about 1 hour.
- 3Transfer the vegetables to a large heavy soup pot. Add 5 cups of the water and the remaining ingredients.
- 4Pour the remaining 2 cups of water into the baking pan, and using the blade since of a spatula, scrape up all those wonderful browned, caramelized bits on the bottom. Add this to the soup pot.
- 5Bring the water to a boil, and then turn down the heat and simmer, partially covered, 30 minutes. Cool slightly and strain.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Browned Vegetable Stock
Serving Size: 1 (2914 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.6
- Calories from Fat 99
- Total Fat 11.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1175.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 11.1 g
- Protein 7.2 g