Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe has been slightly modified to suit the taste of people who prefer a little more taste in the casserole. Other recipes for Broccoli and Blue Cheese casserole are often runny, have only a slight flavor to them, and over cooked broccoli. We make this at Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July, and other special occasions. It is the only dish of our 9-12 other dishes that doesn't ever make it to the refrigerator since it is completely gone on the first pass around the table. It is considered dessert by my 14 year-old son because it is so delicious.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Steam or boil broccoli florets until just cooked, about 2-3 minutes - drain water well.
- In a large saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour. Add cream cheese, blue cheese, salt, and milk. Stir over heat until smooth. Stir in broccoli being careful to not break apart broccoli and pour into an 8x8 or 9x9 oven-safe dish.
- Mix 6 tablespoons melted butter with cracker crumbs until well combined. Stir in 1 cup of cracker mixture into broccoli mixture. Pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with remaining cracker crumbs. Return to oven and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- This can be prepared the day before and you will need to add 25 minutes to your cooking time if it has been refrigerated.
Delicious ! I made the recipe as directed. This is an excellant dish.
Not the healthiest recipe, but delicious. It is one of my daughter's favorite dishes. I didn't substitute anything and it came out great. Rich and creamy and savory. Not bland at all.
Wow! Decandently rich & delicious. I did have to make an adjustment because of "can't get it here" ingredient. Just blue cheese was unavailable and I had to substitute a very good brand of blue cheese salad dressing, and, therefore, omitted the half & half. Turned out it was a wonderful sub. We won't have this often, but in this case made for a pumped-up weeknight dinner. Thnx for sharing this great recipe, Chef. Made for My-3-Chefs 2009.