Recipe by Michael67
This recipe has been slightly modified to suit the taste of people who prefer a little more taste in the casserole. Other recipes for Broccoli and Blue Cheese casserole are often runny, have only a slight flavor to them, and over cooked broccoli. We make this at Thanksgiving, Christmas, 4th of July, and other special occasions. It is the only dish of our 9-12 other dishes that doesn't ever make it to the refrigerator since it is completely gone on the first pass around the table. It is considered dessert by my 14 year-old son because it is so delicious.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups Ritz cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Steam or boil broccoli florets until just cooked, about 2-3 minutes - drain water well.
- In a large saucepan melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Stir in flour. Add cream cheese, blue cheese, salt, and milk. Stir over heat until smooth. Stir in broccoli being careful to not break apart broccoli and pour into an 8x8 or 9x9 oven-safe dish.
- Mix 6 tablespoons melted butter with cracker crumbs until well combined. Stir in 1 cup of cracker mixture into broccoli mixture. Pour mixture into a casserole dish.
- Bake covered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with remaining cracker crumbs. Return to oven and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- This can be prepared the day before and you will need to add 25 minutes to your cooking time if it has been refrigerated.