Recipe by Barb Witherspoon
Bread stuffing loaded with delicious goodies. Although you can use this to stuff a turkey, I make it in a casserole dish. The original recipe came from an Internet website, but I modified it. I made it ahead of time and heated it in the oven just before serving.
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange liqueur
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 (16 ounce) packagedry herb seasoned stuffing mix
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 -2 teaspoon sage
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Plump raisins by placing them in a small saucepan with 1 cup orange liqueur.
- Bring to boil, remove from heat, and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Saute the celery and onion in the butter till tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer onion and celery mix to a very large mixing bowl.
- Cook sausage till crumbled and evenly browned. Drain.
- Combine the sausage and stuffing mix with the onion and celery mixture.
- Stir in the raisins and liqueur, pecans, apples, dried cranberries, chicken broth, remaining 1/2 cup of orange liqueur, sage, salt, and pepper.
- Mixture should be totally moist. If it is not, add some melter butter.
- Place in casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, for 20 minutes or until heated through. Add baking time if prepared ahead of time.