Recipe by riffraff
The absolute ultimate bread pudding master formula.
Top Review by penel31
This was absolutely fabulous! I made mine with raisin bread, added a few extra raisins, and sprinkled cinnamon on the top before baking. With 15 inches of snow on the ground, you couldn't ask for a better comfort food!
- 3 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 7 large eggs
- 5 large egg yolks
- 2 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 6 cups bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: bread can be any non-savory firm textured bread.
- Avoid soft supermarket bread- makes pudding mushy and avoid rustic crusty loaves with open crumb- doesn't absorb and yields too firm a pudding.
- Whole wheat cinnamon raisin works well, but a brioche or challah work the best.
- Preheat oven to 350, butter a 13x9 baking dish.
- Whisk milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Meanwhile scrape vanilla bean into milk mixture and throw in pods.
- Heat to steaming, but not boiling.
- Discard vanilla pods.
- Whisk eggs and yolks in a large bowl, gradually add 2 cups of hot milk mixture, then pour egg mixture into the saucepan with the hot milk.
- Strain and whisk in cream.
- Spread bread cubes in prepared dish.
- Slowly pour custard over bread being sure to saturate all of the bread.
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour or until a small knife inserted in the center of the pudding comes out clean.
- Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream or caramel sauce.
- Note: you can add raisins, currents, dried cranberries, sour cherries or any other dried fruit you like.