1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is THE best chicken ever!!!!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.79 ml dried bay leaf, crushed
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, packed tight
- 9.85 ml fine sea salt
- 29.58 ml black pepper
- 59.16 ml paprika
- 9.85 ml cayenne pepper
- 59.16 ml ketchup
- 14.78 ml Frank's red hot sauce
- 59.16 ml Bud Light beer
- 59.16 ml white vinegar
- 340.19 g can Bud Light beer
- 1587.57-1814.36 g whole chickens
- 1Rinse chicken well inside an out.
- 2Pat bird completely dry with paper towels.
- 3To make the rub: mix 4 tbsp paprika, 2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp black pepper, 2 tsp cayenne pepper, and 1/4 cup brown sugar in a small bowl and set it aside.
- 4To make glaze: mix together 1/4 cup brown sugar, 4 tbsp ketchup, 3 tsp frank's red hot sauce, 4 tbsp white vinegar, 4 tbsp beer (save remainder in can and set it aside), and 2 tbsp of the spice rub you just made in a separate bowl; set aside.
- 5Pour beer can out (or drink it down) until it is just a bit over half way full and then add crushed bay leaves and 1 tsp of rub to the half full can.
- 6Loosen the skin on the breasts, legs and thighs of your chicken.
- 7Massage the rub into the meat under the skin and then all over the outside of the bird's skin as well as inside the cavity.
- 8Place beer can in the "butt" of the bird making the bird stand upright.
- 9Preheat grill with all burners on high until grill is heated and ready to cook.
- 10You must cook indirectly; so if you have 2 burners on your grill, turn one off (for 3 burners turn 1 off, for 4 burners turn 2 off, etc.).
- 11Place the standing bird on the cooler or "off" burner side of the grill with the breasts facing the hot or "on side of it (you grill should remain at about 375 degrees during the entire cooking process).
- 12Close lid and cook for 30 minutes, then rotate bird so that the opposite side (the back) is not facing the heated side of the grill and then continue cooking with the lid closed for 30 more minutes.
- 13Rotate bird back to original position with breasts facing the heat and glaze the entire bird thoroughly with the pre-made glaze; continue cooking 30 more minutes until cooked, brown and slightly crisped.
- 14Transfer chicken carefully off of beer can and onto cutting board.
- 15Let rest 5-10 minutes and then carve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Beer Butt Chicken Beer Can
Serving Size: 1 (431 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.4
- Calories from Fat 376
- Total Fat 41.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 187.1 mg
- Sodium 1615.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 30.8 g
- Protein 45.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried bay leaves