Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From _Tyler's Ultimate_ episode "Ultimate Beef Stroganoff." This is the meal his wife Tolan makes for him whenever he returns from traveling.
- 4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves removed
- 3 lbs beef short ribs, cut into 2 ribs apiece
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped shallot, sliced thin
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cognac
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 lb egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped green onions
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Combine 4 cloves roughly chopped garlic with salt, pepper and olive oil. Add rosemary leaves and thyme leaves. Smear around the bowl and squeeze in your fist to bruise and combine. Smear this paste all over the short ribs on a baking sheet. Place sheet in oven and roast 2 1/2 hours, until the meat is falling off the bone.
- Heat 2 T olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and sear 3-5 minutes until browned. Add shallots and garlic; cook until garlic is fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Move pan away from open flame and add cognac to deglaze; return pan to heat and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Add heavy cream. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until reduced by half. Turn off heat and add mustard and sour cream; stir well. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- While sauce cooks, prepare noodles according to package directions. Drain and toss with butter and a little pepper while hot.
- Remove meat from bones and slice crosswise, 1/2" thick. Serve noodles, topped with sauce, then place meat on top. Garnish with parsley and green onions.
I love Tyler Florence AND his recipes, so I taped this particular episode/recipe and then, I MADE it! WOO HOO!!! Fabulous dish! The meat is SO tender and the composition is so delicious! My tongue danced!
Made according to the recipe, this is a delicious dish with one exception: the amount of salt on the meat is excessive and unappetizing. Do use the spices and seek out cremini mushrooms which are more flavorful.
i found this recipe on food network and i love it. i read a bunch of the reviews and cooked it at 250 and covered with foil to keep the short rins moist. the trip is to get the garlic mix into a paste and rub on the short ribs. the stroganoff part is to dye for. dont skimp on the spices as the sauce does need the green oinions and lots of onions to make it not bland, try this you will not be disapointed. oh and i didnt use cremi much only button