Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Adapted from My Recipe Journey
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into bite sized pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of guinness extra stout beer
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Saute all the veggies until the onions are tender, stirring constantly.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper. Dredge the meat pieces in the seasoned flour until well coated. Add to the sauteed veggies and continue to cook until the meat is browned. Add salt and pepper to taste (I use 2 teaspoons kosher salt and 1 teaspoon pepper).
- Add the Guinness stout, beef broth, honey and bay leaf. Stir well.
- Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for about 2 hours or until meat is tender.