3 hrs 30 mins
This stew recipe came from "Tyler's Ultimate" on the Food Network. It is FANTASTIC. The beef comes out tender and delicious. The orange peel and cloves create a great, warm flavor. Use a good bottle of wine and you will taste the difference! Serve with some crusty bread, and enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups flour
- 2 -3 lbs beef boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast, cut into 2 inch pieces
- kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 (750 ml) bottle wine (good quality dry red)
- 8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 orange, zest of, zest removed in 3
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 9 small new potatoes, cut into bite size chunks
- 1/2 lb carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups frozen pearl onions, a large handful (I use one diced yellow onion)
- 1/2 lb garden peas (frozen or fresh)
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, for garnish
- 1Preheat a large heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium high heat with oil and butter.
- 2While pan is heating, arrange flour on a large dish. Season the cubed beef with some salt and pepper, then toss to coat.
- 3Shake of excess flour, then add beef in a single layer to pan, being careful not to over crowd. You might have to work in batches.
- 4Thoroughly brown beef on all sides. Remove to a plate and reserve.
- 5Add wine to the pan and bring up to a simmer. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen tasty bits.
- 6Add meat once wine is hot. Add thyme, smashed garlic, orange zest strip, ground cloves, salt and pepper to taste, and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
- 7Add beef stock. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook uncovered until the liquid starts to thicken, about 15-20 minute.
- 8Cover and cook on low heat for 2 1/2 hours.
- 9After 2 hours, add potatoes, carrots, onions, and a pinch of sugar to balance out the acid in the wine.
- 10Turn up heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- 11Add the peas during the last minute of cooking. Season with salt and pepper. Remove thyme sprigs and orange peel.
- 12Serve with crusty peasant bread. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (767 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1027.5
- Calories from Fat 408
- Total Fat 45.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 119.5 mg
- Sodium 506.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 41.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs
oranges, zest of
frozen pearl onions