Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Got this off Food Network Canada three years ago, the Chef was from Ottawa, not much tweaking done to it, other than he showed it on a BBQ and I do it on a stove. Low skills thing, but if you "believe" and follow through with the recipe, it will give you a great meal or accompaniment...
- 2 (10 ounce) cans baked beans, I prefer those with kidney beans as an ingredient, but that does NOT matter
- 6 slices thick bacon, cut to 1-inch lengths
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced finely
- 1 dash cayenne or 1 dash frank's hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 sweet pepper, hulled, deseeded and diced
- 1 cup applesauce
- Cut up the bacon and fry until tender but not crisp.
- Reduce heat, add onion, celery, and garlic,sautee gently, until onions are waxy --
- Add beans and mix well incorporating bacon fat.
- Add syrup, BBQ Sauce, mustard, Hot Sauce, chili powder and diced pepper, and stir well --
- Add apple sauce and stir well, "stew" for 30-45 minutes on low heat, and serve --
- Just "nuts" as a bean serving! Works equally well in a slow cooker, accompanies too many things to recounts, but worth it to try!
These rock. With a touch of Canada (esp. maple syrup) this is sweet with layered flavors.