Recipe by John DOH
Got this off Food Network Canada three years ago, the Chef was from Ottawa, not much tweaking done to it, other than he showed it on a BBQ and I do it on a stove. Low skills thing, but if you "believe" and follow through with the recipe, it will give you a great meal or accompaniment...
- 2 (10 ounce) cans baked beans, I prefer those with kidney beans as an ingredient, but that does NOT matter
- 6 slices thick bacon, cut to 1-inch lengths
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 cup mustard
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced finely
- 1 dash cayenne or 1 dash frank's hot sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 sweet pepper, hulled, deseeded and diced
- 1 cup applesauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up the bacon and fry until tender but not crisp.
- Reduce heat, add onion, celery, and garlic,sautee gently, until onions are waxy --
- Add beans and mix well incorporating bacon fat.
- Add syrup, BBQ Sauce, mustard, Hot Sauce, chili powder and diced pepper, and stir well --
- Add apple sauce and stir well, "stew" for 30-45 minutes on low heat, and serve --
- Just "nuts" as a bean serving! Works equally well in a slow cooker, accompanies too many things to recounts, but worth it to try!