Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Originally from the post of BettyR at cheftalk.com (FINALLY!!!!!! That perfect homemade yellow cake). I posted here for safe keeping and checking on nutritional values. This recipe makes a 3-layer cake (9x1 1/2 inch pans). This is the scaled down version for a single layer cake using only 1 egg.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut wax paper to fit the bottom of a 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pan. Spray the pan with cooking spray, place the wax paper in the pan and spray the paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well.
- Combine milk with vegetable oil and stir thoroughly.
- Add the milk/vegetable oil mixture, butter and vanilla to the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed.
- Add the eggs and continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.
- Cool cakes on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.
- Frost as desired.
I forgot to rate it in my other post. I apologize. I rate it five stars for taste and ease of preparation, using ingredients readily available.