Recipe by Erin K. Brown
We have never managed to find parsley root, I wonder what this would taste like with it actually added?? Also, once all the ingredients are together in your large stock pot, we let it simmer overnight
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 59.16 ml butter
- 236.59 ml onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 473.18 ml beets, coarsely grated
- 236.59 ml celery root, peeled and coarsely grated
- 236.59 ml parsley root, peeled and coarsely grated
- 236.59 ml parsnip, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2.46 ml sugar
- 59.14 ml red wine vinegar
- 14.79 ml salt
- 1892.0 ml beef stock
- 453.59 g boiling potato, peeled and cut into 1 . 5 inch chunks
- 453.59 g cabbage, cored and coarsely shredded
- 453.59 g beef brisket, boiled, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 44.37 ml parsley, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Drop tomatoes into boiling water for 15 seconds. Run them under cold water and peel them. Cut out the stem, then slice them in half crosswise. Squeeze the halves gently to remove the juices and seeds then chop them coarsely and set aside.
- 2. In a heavy 10- to 12-inch skillet or casserole, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the onions and garlic, and stirring frequently, cook 6-8 minutes, or until they are soft and lightly colored. Stir in the beets, celery root, parsley root, parsnip, half the tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, salt and 1.5 cups of the stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, than partially cover the pot and lower the heat. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, pour the remaining stock into a 6- to 8-quart casserole and add the potatoes and cabbage. Bring to a boil, then simmer partially covered for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender but not falling apart. When the vegetable mixture has cooked its allotted time, add it to the casserole with the remaining tomatoes and the meat. Simmer partially covered for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the borshch is heated. Taste for seasoning. Pour into a tureen, sprinkle with parsley and serve accompanied by sour cream.