Prep 72 hrs
Cook 15 mins
When you make pickled beets yourself, you control the spicing. Here's an easy recipe from "Vancouver Entertains". Prep time includes marinating time.
- 2 (14 ounce) cansrosebud beets, drained but keeping 2/3 cup liquid reserved
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 4 cloves
- 1⁄3 cinnamon stick
- Mix beet liquid, vinegar, sugar, salt and spices in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add beets and return to a boil, then remove from the heat.
- Transfer beets to a jar and cover with liquid.
- Marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 3 days, then serve.
This recipe is the best I've tasted since I was a kid. I'll be making it often.