Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A Ukrainian friend made this for a party and it was so different, both to look at and to eat that I had to get the recipe off her. Great make ahead recipe and looks good on presentation! It is a bit messy to prepare, but if you like these types of food, it's a winner.
- 2 -3 smoked mackerel fillets
- 2 -3 carrots
- 2 -3 medium waxy potatoes
- 2 -3 beetroots
- 1 medium onion, finally chopped
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- olive oil
- Put the carrots, potatoes and beetroot in water and bring to boil (use already cooked beetroot to cut cooking time) cook until done but not mushy.
- Peel the carrots, potatoes and beetroot once cooked (this helps to preserve nutrients as well as stop the veggies getting too mushy).
- Take the skin off the mackerel and flake the flesh into the bottom of a 8" glass bowl to form a thin layer.
- Sprinkle the chopped onion on top of the mackerel to form another thin layer.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Grate the cooked carrot on top to form a layer, drizzle with some more oil.
- Grate beetroot on top of carrot and spread with thin layer of mayonnaise.
- Grate potato on top of beetroot and spread with thin layer of mayonnaise.
- Start again with mackerel, onion, carrot, beetroot and potato until you get to the top of the bowl.
- Slice the egg in an egg slicer or crumble on top of the top layer of potato and sprinkle with black or white pepper.