Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Here is a very good layered nut torte, Delicious and easy to prepare.
Make and share this Ukrainian Walnut-Almond Torte recipe from Food.com.
- 8 eggs, SEPARATED
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar (icing)
- 2 cups walnuts, grated
- 4 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs, SEPARATED
- 2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup grated almonds
- 2 tablespoons fine breadcrumbs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons strong cool coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- FOR THE WALNUT TORTE: Beat the egg yolks until light. Add the sugar gradually and beat until thick and fluffy. Stir in the nuts and bread crumbs.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold gently into the mixture.
- Butter 2, (9 inch )deep layer pans (shallow pans may cause the batter to run over in the oven) with soft butter and sprinkle with fine bread crumbs.
- Spoon the batter into the pans. Bake 350 degrees F.,for 30 to 35 minutes, or until done when tested.
- Remove from the pans and place on a cake rack.
- FOR THE ALMOND LAYER: Beat the egg yolks until light. Add the sugar gradually and continue beating until thick and fluffy. Beat in the lemon rind and juice. Stir in the almonds and bread crumbs.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold gently into the mixture. Spoon the batter into a deep, buttered layer cake pan sprinkled with bread crumbs.
- Bake in a moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 30 to 35 minutes or until done. Remove from the pan and place on a cake rack. Prepare the following filling.
- FOR THE FILLING: BLEND the egg yolks with 1/2 cup of the sugar in a saucepan; cook this mixture OVER simmering water, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
- Remove it from the heat and cool.
- Cream the butter, add the remaining 1 cup of sugar gradually, and continue creaming until smooth.
- Blend in the yolk-sugar mixture, coffee, and vanilla. Beat thoroughly.
- Spread this filling between the 3 layers of the torte, on the sides, and over the top. Decorate with toasted, slivered almonds.
This torte is delicious. You really need to read all of the ingredients prior to making as I do not usually have plain breadcrumbs in my home....I usually only have Italian flavored and therefore when I make this I need to prep for making my own plain bread crumbs. This torte has a lot of steps...lots of grinding and whipping of egg whites. Most people don't have the room in their ovens for both layer cakes at one time therefore, it takes more than 1.5 hours to make. I am a very quick baker...this took me 8 hours the first time I made it. This time it will be less, but it's a step process. Well worth the effort..I just want to set up expectations.
I agree that this torte is easy to make. I've made it numerous times. I pour a little bit of coffee with almond extract over the layers before i put the filling on. I also smear one layer with seedless raspberry jam and then roll out a layer of marzipan. You can do so many things with this torte. I like to ice it with a dark chocolate icing and decorate it with almonds and walnuts.