Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
From the Best of Ukrainian Cuisine, by Bahdan Zahny. Posted for ZWT4.
Make and share this Ukrainian Tomato Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 4 medium vine ripe homegrown tomatoes or 4 medium heirloom tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, julienned
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- salt and pepper
- Mix together mayonnaise and sunflower oil.
- Slice tomatoes and place on a small plate, and top with dressing and basil.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Just an FYI basil & mayo were not part of Ukrainian cuisine as far as I recall, sour cream, dill & parsley were.
A very tasty and refreshing salad. I used good quality heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil from my garden. I loved the fresh tart taste that was sweetened by the tomato. Kudos on a wonderful simple recipe that tastes amazing.
WOW! I wasn't so sure I would like this but decided to give it a try as I had a very tasty heirloom tomato and fresh basil to use. I was surprised at how WONDERFUL it was! I don't think it would be as good though with store bought tomatoes and dry basil. Fresh and Ripe are a must! Made for the ZWT4.