Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Perozhki style pies with a flaky crust and a savory chicken filling.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄8 teaspoons lemon juice
- salt (to taste)
- 6 ounces sliced mushrooms, fried in
- 1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh dill, chopped
- For the chicken- Combine onion, celery, garlic, parsley, and salt, with 1 cup of water and 1 cup of stock. In a pot and boil for 15 minutes. Add the chicken, cover and simmer on low heat for 45 minutes. Flip the chicken over, cover, and simmer for another 45 minutes until chicken is tender.
- For the dough- In a food processor, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Pulse for a few seconds, and then pour into a mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, knead butter into the flour mixture until it’s crumbly.
- Stir in milk.
- Lightly flour your hands and the countertop, and begin folding the dough about 10 or 15 times.
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin to about a ½ inch thickness.
- Cut into rings (about 2¼ inches in diameter).
- Roll each round as thin as possible (about 5-6 inches in diameter).
- When chicken is done, remove and cube.
- Blend ½ cup of chicken stock and ½ cup of sour cream, and bringing to a simmer, stirring continuously. Remove from heat and blend in dill, nutmeg, lemon juice, and salt to taste.
- Mix in chicken cubes, the hard-boiled egg and mushrooms.
- Spoon 1½ tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the dough.
- Fold over and seal the edges with the tine of a fork. If the dough is sticky, dip the fork in flour.
- Gently press down on the dough, evenly distributing the pie filling.
- Place a medium sauté pan with 1½ tbsp butter over medium-low heat. When the butter is melted, add 2-3 pies at a time and sauté until golden brown on both sides (about 2 minutes). Be careful- butter burns very quickly.
- Serve immediately.