Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
Serve with rice.
- 2 -3 lbs leg of lamb
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 10 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Remove the bone and skin from the meat and cut off excess fat.
- Cut the meat into 1x2 inch pieces and put them into a bowl.
- Combine all the ingredients, pour over the meat, and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and let the mixture stand for 2 hours or longer at room temperature to marinate and tenderize the meat.
- This is very important for successful results.
- Drain the meat and pat dry each piece very thoroughly to prevent sputtering during cooking.
- Save the marinade for tenderizing roasts.
- Arrange the meat cubes on a skewer.
- Brush the filled skewers very generously with cooking oil.
- Place the skewers under the broiler close to strong heat.
- Turn the skewers every few minutes and baste frequently with cooking oil or with the fat that drips into the pan.
- Total broiling time will be about 12 minutes.
- Slip the meat off the skewers onto a hot plate and season with salt and pepper.
- When steamed rice is used, place the shashlyk over it and garnish attractively.
- Serve at once.
Bang on! My wife is from Kamsack, SK.(Large Dukibour settlement) and said it could beat the stuff the had there. I am starting my fifth batch using lamb, beef,chicken. lamb and chicken are the best. I am going to try pork and shrimp next.