Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Use this spread on small slices of rye bread and garnish attractively. Some cooks add a finely grated apple to the mixture for a milder flavor.
- 1 fat salt herring fillet
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Wash and clean the herring, discard the head, and soak in cold water 1 to 2 hours. The herring should retain some saltiness.
- Remove the skin and bones. Rinse the fillets and pat dry.
- Grind the fillets or chop them very finely.
- Press the eggs through a sieve, reserving 1 egg yolk for a garnish.
- Combine the chopped herring with the sieved eggs and the remaining ingredients.
- Mash to a smooth paste. If the mixture is very soft, chill it before spreading. Garnish with the sieved egg yolk and finely chopped parsley or scallions.