Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Plums are a favorite fruit in Ukraine. This combination makes an interesting winter salad.
- 3 cups cooked red kidney beans or 2 (14 ounce) cans red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sweet basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered coriander
- 3⁄4 cup damson plum jam
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- If using canned beans, drain and place in a sieve or strainer and rinse under cold water. Drain again and place in a serving bowl.
- In a blender or food processor, place garlic, salt, basil, coriander, jam and vinegar; puree until very smooth. Using a wooden spoon, fold puree gently into beans. Let stand for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature; sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
- Serve in a large bowl or on a platter lined with lettuce. Makes 8 servings.
- NOTE: This can be prepared a day ahead and kept in the refrigerator overnight. Allow salad to come to room temperature before serving.