Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tender yeast dough with a most delicous cabbage filling.
- pastry dough
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 1⁄2 packages dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup scalded milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1 large cabbage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 2 hardboiled egg, chopped.
- DOUGH: Dissolve the sugar in the lukewarm water, sprinkle the yeast over it, and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Cool the milk to lukewarm and combine it with the yeast.
- Add the eggs, cream, salt, and sugar.
- Mix well.
- Work the butter into the flour until crumbly.
- Add the first mixture and mix quickly to form a soft dough, handling it as little as possible.
- DO NOT KNEAD.
- Place the dough on a floured board and divide into 2 equal parts.
- Roll each part into a rectangle about 1/3 inch thick.
- Place one part of the rolled dough on a greased baking sheet.
- 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Spread the cabbage filling over it.
- Cover with the other part of the rolled dough.
- Seal the edges well on all sides.
- Prick the top lightly in several places.
- Cover and set it in a warm place to rise until light.
- This will take about 1 hour.
- Bake in a moderate over (350 degree F) for about 40 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve warm.
- CABBAGE FILLING: Shred the cabbage very finely, sprinkle with salt, and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- Squeeze it dry.
- Cook the onion in the butter until tender.
- Add the cabbage and cook until it is tender but not overcooked.
- Mix in the lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the hard cooked eggs.
- If desired, some chopped, cooked ham or chopped, cooked mushrooms may be added to this filling in place of eggs.
- Traditional Ukrainian Cooking.
I didnt use this dough, but I did the filling. It was wonderful! I used some chopped mushrooms, and served with chili sauce, sour cream and tomato relish. wonderful.