2 hrs 15 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This is a delicious recipe that came to the United States from the Ukraine with my maternal grandmother, Anna Buhal'tsev (Bell) Mersky. I have this recipe already posted on recipezaar, but I am making a few slight changes here to make this lower in carbs than the original.
My Private Note
large m ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (16 ounce) cans jellied cranberry sauce (jelled not whole)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups tap water
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup Splenda granular
- 1 cup white raisins
- 1 large green cabbage or 2 medium cabbage
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 3 saltine crackers
- 1 medium onion (grated)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- salt and pepper
- 1Combine the cranberry sauce, tomato sauce, 2 cups tap water, and Splenda and bring to boil.
- 2Reduce to a simmer and add white raisins.
- 3Simmer 5 minutes.
- 4Core the head or heads of cabbage and place into large pot.
- 5Cover with water and bring to boil.
- 6Cover the pot and cook 10 to 15 minutes.
- 7Remove from hot water.
- 8Cover the cabbage with cold water and separate the leaves. I use only the larger leaves to go completely around the meatballs.
- 9In a mixing bowl, place the raw ground beef, 1 egg, 3 saltine crackers that are soaked and squeezed dry, grated onion, 1/4 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon ketchup, salt and pepper.
- 10After mixing the meat mixture well, form into meatballs and wrap each meatball in a cabbage leaf rolling them closed, and place them into a deep roasting pan.
- 11Cover with the sauce mixture.
- 12Cover with a lid or heavy duty aluminum foil and bake in a pre-heated 375 degree oven for an hour.
- 13You can either serve immediately or freeze until needed.
- 14NOTE: I usually make a double amount of sauce to use over mashed potatoes, because it is so delicious.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ukrainian Prockus (Stuffed Cabbage - Low Carb)
Serving Size: 1 (4838 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.5
- Calories from Fat 110
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 69.0 mg
- Sodium 520.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 43.4 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: