Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the lightest dough and the best tasting filling you have ever tasted.
Make and share this Ukrainian Poppy Seed Roll recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package yeast
- 3 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour or 3 2⁄3 cups unbleached flour, in a large bowl make a well in the middle of flour,add dissolved yeast in well,add around yeast in t
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 beaten egg
- peel of 1 lemon, grated
- 2⁄3 cup warm milk
POPPY SEED FILLING
- 2 1⁄3 cups ground poppy seeds (Grind in a coffee grinder, or through finest blade of food chopper, I buy ground poppy seeds at a Ge)
- 1 cup hot boiling milk (or boiled light cream)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin (you may use chopped up prunes)
- 2⁄3 cup chopped almonds or 2⁄3 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- THE NIGHT BEFORE: Scald with boiling water 2 1/3 cups poppies. I do this about three times. I put the poppies in a large bowl add boiling water and swish them poppies. Wait until the poppies have settled and then pour off the water.
- After the third wash let the poppies stand in hot water for 1 hour.
- Drain poppies through a cheesecloth covered net sieve.
- Air dry in the sieve, preferably overnight.
- FOR THE DOUGH: MIX and KNEAD for about 10 minutes addin more flour if necessary.
- This is a soft dough.
- Let rise in a greased bowl, covered, for about 45 minutes, till doubled in bulk.
- Punch down and divide into two parts.
- Roll each into rectangle.
- Spread with Poppy Seed Filling all over the rectangle.
- Roll up each rectangle from the long end like a jelly roll.
- Pinch seams to make edges secure.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Cover, let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes, brush with egg wash or cream.
- (I use evaporated milk to brush tops) I like to slash tops lightly about 1/4 inch deep and 2 inches apart all the way up the roll.
- BAKE: preheated oven 350 degree F.
- for about 45 to 50 minutes or until done and brown on top.
- POPPY SEED FILLING: Stir HOT milk into poppy seeds, add the rest of the ingredients in order. Sometimes I add liquid honey for more sweetness. Add to taste.
- Stir until cool.
- When cool fill rolls.
This recipe makes the best sweet bread! It's tender, fluffy and tastes wonderful. I had intended to follow the recipe exactly, but only realized I had forgotten the lemon zest when the shaped bread was rising. The bread is still fantastic, and I'm trying to figure out where this recipe goes right - I used bread flour, didn't need any extra, the dough was soft, but I could knead it, and after kneading it was less sticky, so I could shape it. I did sift the flour, and if that's what does it, I'll sift all my flour when I make bread. At least I'll give it a try. It's hard to belive a bread with only 1 egg in it is so good. This was my first experience with poppy seed filling, and I do think it may take some getting used to. I think it came out the way it should have, though I was surprised at how much of it there was. It was interesting. Thank you for another lovely recipe.