1/1 Photo of Ukrainian Poppy Seed Roll
1 hr 30 mins
This is the lightest dough and the best tasting filling you have ever tasted.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour or 3 2/3 cups unbleached flour, in a large bowl make a well in the middle of flour,add dissolved yeast in well,add around yeast in t
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons soft butter
- 1 beaten egg
- peel of 1 lemon, grated
- 2/3 cup warm milk
POPPY SEED FILLING
- 2 1/3 cups ground poppy seeds (Grind in a coffee grinder, or through finest blade of food chopper, I buy ground poppy seeds at a Ge)
- 1 cup hot boiling milk (or boiled light cream)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 3/4 cup golden raisin (you may use chopped up prunes)
- 2/3 cup chopped almonds or 2/3 cup walnuts (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1THE NIGHT BEFORE: Scald with boiling water 2 1/3 cups poppies. I do this about three times. I put the poppies in a large bowl add boiling water and swish them poppies. Wait until the poppies have settled and then pour off the water.
- 2After the third wash let the poppies stand in hot water for 1 hour.
- 3Drain poppies through a cheesecloth covered net sieve.
- 4Air dry in the sieve, preferably overnight.
- 5FOR THE DOUGH: MIX and KNEAD for about 10 minutes addin more flour if necessary.
- 6This is a soft dough.
- 7Let rise in a greased bowl, covered, for about 45 minutes, till doubled in bulk.
- 8Punch down and divide into two parts.
- 9Roll each into rectangle.
- 10Spread with Poppy Seed Filling all over the rectangle.
- 11Roll up each rectangle from the long end like a jelly roll.
- 12Pinch seams to make edges secure.
- 13Place on greased baking sheet.
- 14Cover, let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes, brush with egg wash or cream.
- 15(I use evaporated milk to brush tops) I like to slash tops lightly about 1/4 inch deep and 2 inches apart all the way up the roll.
- 16BAKE: preheated oven 350 degree F.
- 17for about 45 to 50 minutes or until done and brown on top.
- 18POPPY SEED FILLING: Stir HOT milk into poppy seeds, add the rest of the ingredients in order. Sometimes I add liquid honey for more sweetness. Add to taste.
- 19Stir until cool.
- 20When cool fill rolls.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ukrainian Poppy Seed Roll
Serving Size: 1 (172 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 584.4
- Calories from Fat 274
- Total Fat 30.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.0 g
- Cholesterol 70.5 mg
- Sodium 166.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 29.6 g
- Protein 13.7 g