Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A tender white cake flecked with poppy seeds.
- 3⁄4 cup poppy seed
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 -3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease a 10-inch tube-type pan and dust the pan with flour.
- In a small bowl, combine the poppy seeds and milk.
- cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, lemon zest, and sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg whites and beat at high speed with an electric mixer until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Place the cake flour, baking powder, and salt into a sieve and set it over the bowl.
- With a spoon, stir the mixture until it is sifted into the creamed mixture.
- Add the poppy seed-milk mixture and with an electric mixer at MEDIUM speed beat until the batter is light and fluffy, scraping the sides of the bowl often.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then invert it out onto a wire rack to finish cooling.
- TO MAKE THE GLAZE: In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar, butter, and lemon juice.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake.
- Makes about 10 servings.