Recipe by Olha
This plum preserve should be made in August, when plums are at their sweetest.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made just a quarter of a recipe this first time around, & look forward to doing a big batch next year or as soon as I can find some really great plums! Loved the taste of this butter, & will happily keep what I have right here at home! Still, this would make an outstanding gift! Thanks for posting the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC cooking game]
- 9 lbs plums, pitted (about 7 quarts)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 tablespoons grated oranges (optional) or 4 tablespoons lemon peel (optional)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat the inside of a large saucepan with the melted butter. Then put in the plums and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a large wooden spoon, for about 20 minutes, or until they are soft.
- Put the plums through a strainer or food mill, clean the saucepan, and return the plum pulp to it. Stirring all the time, cook over low heat until the pulp is very thick and dark. Stir in the grated peel, if using, and the sugar. Put the butter into jars, cover and process. To make about 7 pints.